Is it over?
Can I now return to my general moaning & grumpiness without having a specific time period/celebration to attach it to?
Yes - the 10 day weekend has finished, clearing up has been done and the folly of having a tree inside your house is over for another 11 and a bit months.
So how was it?
One long round of going out, people coming round, washing up, cooking, cleaning etc - not much relaxing during daylight hours happened.
A typical day was:
- Get up
- Eat Breakfast
- Wake up properly (whilst drinking coffee, smoking and watching repeats of Top Gear)
- Make breakfast for the wife and/or the kids (now aged 13, 15, 16 & 17 - not really kids anymore, but in my world all of them are still only 12)
- Clear up, Wash Up (Clean house and sweep up floors if visitors are due)
- Prepare Lunch - Eat Lunch
- Clear up, Wash Up (for the second time)
- Potter about a bit
- Prepare Dinner - Eat Dinner
- Clear up, Wash Up (again)
- Eat Cheese
- Have a drink and start to relax for the evening
- Eat some more Cheese
- Watch crap on the telly whilst drinking and eating (probably more cheese)
- Fall asleep on sofa => wake up & go to bed
- Repeat for 10 days
As is traditional, on Boxing Day I was struck by the normal Christmas affliction, ie a complete loss of appetite & mild insomnia.
The other great Tradition is for stuff to get broken in the intervening time between Christmas Eve and New Year. Previous years breakdowns have included: Central Heating, Car, burst water pipes and viruses on computers and laptops.
This year the list is thankfully short:
- my tooth (ow!)
- the plastic bit on the end of the bathroom light chord
- battery in the laptop
The Laptop battery should be an easy fix. Just visit a local PC retailer to procure the spare part.
This morning I went to PC World and asked if they sold laptop batteries.
The bobble-hat wearing, fly catching, vacantly staring assistant replied: "only available from partmaster.co.uk"
(shame, rather hoped to be able to get it today, rather than waiting 3 or so days for delivery, but hey-ho, never mind, needs must and all that)
And then it dawned on me:How do I get on the internet without any power source to the Laptop?
Fortunately, I use a Desktop PC and the laptop is the wifes - but I know people who have rid themselves of their desktop and only us a Laptop
Oh well - back to work tomorrow. Can't remember what I was doing when I finished, what needs to be done and I'm not entirely sure I can remember my logon password either.
Happy New Year to anyone who reads this