Monday 1 January 2018

Something To Do In 2018

I need a "quest", a purpose, something to do to get myself to do a regular update to this blog.
A sort of regular feature to supplement the other fine fine pieces of writing about new releases and the back catalogues of my favourite artists.

Whilst not a wholly original idea to "listen to stuff and then write about it", I'm going to do it anyway.

How?
There are 26 letter in the alphabet (as I'm sure you knew?) - this means there is the basis for a series of fortnightly postings based around something in the alphabet.

As a bit of a nerd/sad muppet/OCD case (delete as applicable), my entire Music Collection is logged in a database.
(Well, big Excel spreadsheet - the Access Database I had previously "fell over" and I couldn't be arsed to re-build it)
This lists all singles and albums by artist and title - that is the starting point, that is the alphabetical bit of my quest.
Now all I need to do is generate a random number, find the corresponding entry in the database, listen to it and write some wondrous prose (or meandering rubbish) about said album.

As it is all in Excel, I will create a Pivot Table to arrange LPs and CDs alphabetically be artist, and use the RAND function to tell me which number I need to be waffling on about at that time.

This is not without problems or concerns - there is a distinct possibility that the random number generation could lead me to waxing lyrical about The Barron Knights or James Last, or an album I bought for one track and really couldn't listen to the rest of it.
But by the same token, this could lead to a re-discovery of a long forgotten dust covered relic that has lain dormant for far too long - it is my duty to tell the world of it's greatness.

This will only cover the A - Z part of the database - Various Artists Compilations are to be excluded, as whilst I'd dearly love to bang on about the Nuggets compilation, I'm really not sure I could find the enthusiasm for Now Thats What I Call Music 7, Hits 5 or Micky Mouse's Disco Party.


Let the pointless quest commence ...

Slade - Here's To The New Year



No comments:

Post a Comment