Wednesday 29 May 2013

Oh, The Irony

Previously entilted 'Hoarding and Purging, but changed because:
(a) it was written in a hurry, and
(b) I think the above is a much better title

My name is Rigid Digit, and I am a hoarder.
Now, I don't profess to be a hoarder like those portrayed on Channel 4's 'The Hoarder Next Door', or BBC's 'Britains Biggest Hoarders', but my perdiliction for amassing Vinyl has perhaps got a bit out of hand.

Surely, you can never have too much Vinyl?  A statement I would ordinarily agree with apart from the fact that most of the Vinyl I've acquired in recent years has been 'job lot' purchases from people trying to clear space in their own houses.  I'm also banned from going to Charity Shops and Car Boot Sales on my own for fear that I will return with "armfuls of crap" (not my words).
And because of this, opening of the door and climbing into the seat in front of the computer has become somewhat challenging.
A quick review of the Vinyl Collection reveals 5 copies of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (I'll keep them, there might be a sudden surge of interest if Michael Jackson ever dies), a plethora of James Last and Richard Clayderman albums, and a selection of Easy Listening albums including Johnny Mathis, Barbara Dickson, Perry Como and Kiri Te Kanawa - I'll be honest, I'm probably not going to listen to any of those.
I've also got several duplicate copies of albums which have been upgraded/replaced by CD versions.

A lot of what I've got is relatively worthless, so it'll be the Charity Shop for them.  But there are a couple of items which are worthy of e-baying.

So far, I have sold a Minidisc Player, a Cassette Player a metal shed and a garden rotavotor on e-bay, and will be placing a few choice items of the vinyl collection on there in the coming weeks.
Who knows? I may soon uncover the carpet for the first time in a few years.

And what will I do with the funds gained?

Probaly buy another pile of vinyl off e-bay.  Therefore the net effect will be zero, but at least I tried.

And this is the ironic bit (and yes, it is ironic, unlike the Alannis Morrissette song which should be called "That's Bloody Unfortunate") - one of the first "re-cycled e-bay funds" purchases was a Weird Al Yankovic CD contianing this very song:


Second thoughts, I might just keep everything



No comments:

Post a Comment