Thursday 14 February 2013

Now That's What I Call A Free Gift

Remember A Duff Decision - Now Rectified ?
My own post about changing magazine subscriptions from Q to Mojo.
Well the free gift/enticement for taking the said subscription has arrived.
(I say "Free", it actually cost 45 notes to take out the subscription, but I would've spent that, and more) buying of copy of the magazine each month anyway)

And I think it gave my postman a hernia:

Forever Changing - The Golden Age of Elektra Records 1963-1973

When discussing on the phone to Bauer the subscription options, the 5 CD Elektra Box Set was offered.  I honestly didn't think it would be this one.  Maybe the 5CD set, but no this Limited Edition version.

So what do you get?

Packaged in a 12" x 12" box, this Deluxe Version includes an illustrated hardback book, four prints of classic Elektra record sleeves, a set of artist postcards of Elektra artists, an illustrated discography, and a CD-ROM copy of Jac Holzman and Gavan Daw's book "Follow The Music." 
You don't get that with an MP3!

And the music?
Love, The Doors, Tim Buckley, MC5, The Stooges, Bread, Queen - all names I'm familiar with.
But also those I've heard of/about, but never listened to: Judy Collins, Phil Ochs, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Delaney & Bonnie.
And a clutch of names I've never even heard of: Judy Henske, Kathy Larisch & Carol McComb, Ars Nova, Paul Siebel - and more


I'm about to immerse myself in all things Elektra, and thoroughly looking forward to the prospect.


But, why the long face (as the barman said to the horse (or was it Celine Dion)?
The box is 12" x 12" and I don't have enough free space on the shelf to store it with any sort of "showing off" capability.  Oh well, time for some more re-organisation.

From one of my favourite Elektra albums, Love - 'Forever Changes', I give you, for your entertainment and digest, "Alone Again Or" (which is what I will probably be whilst listening to all 5 discs of this set)




No comments:

Post a Comment