Saturday 2 February 2013

Vindication

When I play music (I say "play" what I actually mean is put on a 7" single, LP or CD, not an impromptu performance on guitar and mouth organ (with cymbals attached to my knees)), the resulting cry from the family is: "Do you have to listen to that, it's a bit rubbish.  Oh, and it's too loud"

Yesterday morning, whilst driving my daughter (14) to school, The Undertones "Teenage Kicks" came on the radio.
"This", I said to the usually uninterested, slightly moody young lady, "is a CHOON - it makes you want to jump around the place like a loony"
"Yeah", she said in that way where she is just humouring her old man, "I've heard it before, it's alright"

The next line that emanated from her mouth were words that just make you love your children even more:
"It's much better than nowadays music, most of that's rubbish"

"Teenage Kicks" is one of those songs that you never tire of hearing, and takes it's place in the All Time Best Ever Stuff, along with:
"Another Girl Another Planet" - The Only Ones
 "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" - The Clash
"Like A Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan
"And Your Bird Can Sing" - The Beatles
"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who
(and many others I'm sure - you will probably have your own lists, but this is a selection of mine)


From the first beat of the drums, the kick of the guitar riff, followed by Feargal Sharkey's quivering vocals, is there a more adrenaline filled, joyous rush than this song?  And then 2 and a half minutes later, it's all over.



No comments:

Post a Comment