Tuesday 15 March 2022

Bryan Ferry - Dylanesque

The first few Bob Dylan songs I heard were probably "Mr Tambourine Man" by The Byrds, "This Wheels On Fire" by Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger, "The Mighty Quinn" by Manfred Mann, "Knocking On Heaven's Door" by Eric Clapton, "All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, and "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" by Roxy Music.
Thing is, I didn't register these as Bob Dylan songs until a bit later.  I liked the songs, and others I'd hear with the writers name of "Dylan", but never really felt the need to dig in further.
The first Bob Dylan album I bought was 'Greatest Hits' - a CBS Nice Price re-issue of the 1967 album.

The Dylan Door opened and I stepped through.  One of the first purchases was 'Blonde On Blonde' - which may not have been a great place to start as I stepped out of the door again.
Over time though, more Dylan albums have arrived and over time been greatly enjoyed - they seem to worm there way in, rather than give an instant hit.  Still not sure about 'Blondes On Blonde' though.

Much as I like the collected works of Mr Zimmerman, I can't help thinking that the works of Dylan may be more palatable when delivered by other voices.
(although I've never found better versions of "Tangled Up In Blue" or "Shelter From The Storm" than the originals on 'Blood On The Tracks').

Bryan Ferry takes that (personal) truism, and delivers an album of 11 tracks in familiar surroundings, but different enough to go "yup, that's a cracking version".  The histrionics of Roxy Music's "A Hard Rains Gonna Fall" are stripped away, and the track choices are delivered with a certain Ferry-ish Lounge Lizard, Velvet lapels, Dinner Suited chic.

It may not be challenging,and you the listener may think "The Byrds did that better", "nah .. the Jimi Hendrix version is definitive", "I still prefer the Sisters Of Mercy version" (OK, not everyone will agree with that last one).
But what Bryan Ferry does it not try to top previous versions, merely add to the legend (of possibly both himself and Bob Dylan).

In summary:

  • If you like Bob Dylan than you'll probably enjoy the album to hear these songs rendered in a new way.
  • If you only have a passing acquaintance with Bob Dylan, then this album acts as a way in to some of the perhaps lesser known works.
  • If you don't like Bob Dylan, but want some un-challenging background soundtrack for whatever un-challenging activity you are doing, then this album might just fit the bill

The Times They Are A Changing

Knockin On Heavens Door

Positively 4th Street



Hmmm ... I wonder if there a series to be had here - The Covers Album Project

1 comment:

  1. My Dad had Dylan's 1967 Greatest Hits set on reel-to-reel, one of a small number of tapes that would routinely blare out around the house whenever he was decorating, when I was a young kid. So Bob was already in the back of my head somewhere by the time I stumbled upon things like Rod Stewart's sublime version of 'Tomorrow is a Long Time' in 1971 and Ferry's 'Hard Rain' in 1973. I stepped fully through the Dylan door with 'Blood on the Tracks' in 1975, closed it behind me and have been blissfully locked inside ever since.

    I checked out 'Dylanesque' on it's release in 2007, but found it frustratingly unambitious when compared to Ferry's earlier covers (he also did a fine job with 'It Ain't Me Babe' in 1974), though it's an enjoyable listen all the same. I really must seek out Chrissie Hynde's Dylan covers record from last year, as I've read good things about it.

    Do you know Emma Swift's gorgeous 2020 LP 'Blonde on the Tracks'? Highly recommended and available to hear on Bandcamp.

    ReplyDelete