Saturday 5 March 2022

Yard Act - The Overload

 After a couple of single releases in 2020, and then a couple more in 2021, Yard Act release their debut album.  And there's a lot stuffed into the 37 minutes.

From the start "spiky Post Punk" is a catch-all description - yet does no favours in explaining the breadth of sounds and influence on display.
It's easy to roll out the comparisons - The Fall, Sleaford Mods, even a touch of Parquet Courts due to the melange of styles on offer.  And despite being from Leeds, there's a certain Nigel Blackwell-esque Half Man Half Biscuit tone to the part spoken/part sung (spung?) vocal delivery and lyrical content.
And in a world of reductive comparisons (maybe more in tone and attitude, than sound), I'll also cite another Leeds band who arrived with a seemingly fully formed debut album - The Kaiser Chiefs
But all those (and more) are bound together to become Yard Act.

Whilst there may be a lot going on in some of tracks, it all works and the album is full of confidence, much humour, even a bit of social comment, and a couple of deeply burying ear-worms.

I may only have one new album so far with a 2022 date stamp (this one) so I can confidently say that at this moment it is the Album Of The Year.  In 12 months time though ... I'm sure it will still be up there, if only for containing the perfectly observed rhyming couplet (in response to Brexit):

Are you seriously still trying to kid me, that our culture will be just fine.  When all that's left is knobheads morris dancing to Sham 69?


The Overload


Payday


Tall Poppies

2 comments:

  1. Jury's still out here. Still can't decide if I like 'em or they annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone there Rol. I have heard it describes as a Marmite album - much as I dislike that phrase.
      Note the mention of Sleaford Mods, I thought I likd them, but can't abide the singers voice - similar territory me thinks

      Delete